The Crem Della Crem: Our “Best of 2012″

Today’s BEA topic discussion, if it’s not obvious from the title, is the “Best of 2012.” These could be a wide arrange of books; ones that we can’t wait to get our hands on, our new favorites of the year, books being promoted at BEA, or the next book in a series that we’re highly anticipating!

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth

Pub Date: May 1, 2012

From Publisher: One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris’s initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth’s much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

Hallowed (Unearthly #2) by Cynthia Hand

Pub Date: January 17, 2012

From Publisher: For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

Days of Starlight and Blood (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2) by Laini Taylor

Pub Date: November 6, 2012

From Publisher: In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed “Daughter of Smoke and Bone,” Karou must come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she’ll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, mysteries and secrets, new characters and old favorites, Days of Blood and Starlight brings the richness, color and intensity of the first book to a brand new canvas.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was declared a “must read” by Entertainment Weekly, was named a Best Book of the Year by Amazon.com, and The New York Times called it “a breath-catching romantic fantasy.”

Pandemonium - CoverPandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver

Pub Date: February 28,2012

From Publisher:  I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,

pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter

Pub Date: March 27, 2012

From Publisher: KATE WINTERS HAS WON IMMORTALITY.

BUT IF SHE WANTS A LIFE WITH HENRY IN THE UNDERWORLD, SHE’LL HAVE TO FIGHT FOR IT.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.

Awry - CoverAwry (The Archers of Avalon #2) by Chelsea Fine

Pub Date: June 2012

From Publisher: Sometimes love is meant to be. But sometimes love…is the death of you….

Seventeen-year-old Scarlet has just died. Only, dying isn’t unusual for a girl under a centuries old curse that left her semi-immortal.

This time, though, she comes back to her current life instead of awaking in a new one, and she realizes the curse is changing. Together with the immortal Archer brothers, Scarlet must piece together her life and try to break the curse before her impending death comes again.

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Pub Date: September 18, 2012

From Publisher: BIG GIRLS DON’T CRY…
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she’s ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. And she’s ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won’t stop until they each had a taste.

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Pub Date: August 7, 2012

From Publisher: After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men—thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the kings council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she’ll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she’s bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her… but it’s the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead… quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

These are just a few of the novels we would do just about anything to get, and we had trouble narrowing it down to this. 2012 is shaping up to be quite the year in the book publishing world, and we are happy to reap the benefits. So tell us, which books are on your wish list?

Happy Reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
About Christina

Full of giggles, flails, snark and Southern endearments. Avid Reader. Lover of swoony boys, kickass heroines, yummy kissing scenes, and pretty prose.
I like to draw hearts in the sky (eternal optimist) and wish on stars (forever dreamer). Documentaries, sweet tea, sleep, and brightly colored knee-socks are a few of my favorite things. ♥

Comments

1. Insurgent (IMHO) was better than Divergent! I think you will really enjoy that one :)

• Celeste says:

I can’t wait to read it either! Everyone I know loved it.

• HeidiForReal says:

Insurgent.. My God, I was so ANGRY when I was reading it!! But God, did I love it. It’s not better than Divergent, but it’s as good. A GREAT sequel. I read it a week ago, maybe not even a week and I’m already contemplating rereading it. The first thing I did after finishing it, was rereading Divergent. These books beat out Hunger Games for me. And I loved The hunger Games. But them I never reread.

2. Aneeqah says:

I really LOVED Insurgent and Hallowed! Both were truly amazing. I’m really looking forward to Burn for Burn and Throne of Glass! I’ve heard amazing things about both, so I can’t wait to read both of those. I totally agree about 2012- it’s been quite a fantastic year! I’ve read some really great stuff this year.

Awesome list!! =)

-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

• Celeste says:

I’ve been on the queue for Hallowed at my library for so long now and it finally came in! I can’t wait to start it. Yes, I also can’t wait to read Throne of Glass too, it will be a fantastic year!

3. I’ve heard a lot about Insurgent, but haven’t had chance to pick up any of her books. Might have to give them a go.
    Chelle

4. Valia says:

Awesome books!! I still havent read Insurgent (i know, *hangs head in shame*) But I did LOVE Throne of Glass! :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

• Christina says:

I’ll hang my head in mutual shame then because I haven’t had the opportunity to read Insurgent yet either.

Thanks for stopping by here as well!

5. Wonderful book!
    Curently reading Insurgent. So far it’s really good!
    Thanks for commenting!

6. [-Leila-] says:

Insurgent was a fantastic read. I didn’t really like Tris in this book as much as Divergent but I still love this book/trilogy. I also really want to read Hallowed but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet. And WHAT A COVER for Days of Starlight and Blood. Wow :)

What a great list and thanks for sharing!
    Leila | The Fiction Pixie

• Christina says:

I’ve heard several people say that they didn’t like Tris as much in the second book either. Hopefully I’ll have the chance to read it soon so I can weigh in on the topic with my opinion.

Days of Blood and Starlight’s cover is SOOOOO PRETTY!

7. ooh, a great list of books! I’m really looking forward to a lot of these, but most especially Days of Blood & Starlight. :)

8. I’m excited for D of S&B #2 also! And I STILL haven’t read the Goddess series. Like you said, not enough time in the day. Thanks for stopping by my blog today =)

9. I noticed all these books but since most of them are book 2s I have to go read MORE books! #bookloverproblems lol.

• Christina says:

Oh yes! The girls are creating problems for me because they’ve read most of them and I’m having to play catch-up so that I can swoon and flail with them. #bookwormwoes

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

10. Jag says:

The Selection by Kiera Cass is my fave so far for 2012! Loved it. Ive read Pandemonium and wow it was great. Cant wait to add all of these to my list.

11. I read Delirium, but I haven’t read Pandemonium yet. And I cried so hard during Delirium! Is Pandemonium a great sequel to Delirium?

• Jag says:

YES! Yes it is. Sometimes I find the second book in a series to be a little slow and padded but this was a really great follow up book.

12. liviania says:

Throne of Glass is on my list! And I’ve been hearing a lot about Burn for Burn through this event.

• Christina says:

As have I. An e-galley of Throne of Glass is sitting on my Nook right now, I just need to find a spare moment to read it.

Thanks for stopping by!

13. BooksDevoured says:

I am really excited about Burn for Burn! I love both of the authors and I can’t wait to see what their collaborative effort is like!

• Celeste says:

I haven’t heard of Burn for Burn-you’re the 2nd person to post about this so I must be missing something. I’m going to add that to my list straight away! thanks for the rec :)

14. Rachel says:

Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by my post!
    I can’t wait for Days of Blood and Starlight and Throne of Glass too!
    I hope you are enjoying ArmchairBEA too!
    Thanks for introducing me to knew books!

15. bookpics4alba says:

I read Divergent this year, was a good read AND I’ve read around that Insurgent is even better :D but I can’t believe I had forgotten about Laini’s next book!!!! >.< I definitely am looking forward to it!!! Oh, I enjoyed The Goddess Test when I read it as well!! :D

Really REALLY good choices!
    Thanks for stopping by BookPics

16. Kristilyn says:

Awesome picks! I really, really, really need to start reading the Laini Taylor series … if not just for the BEAUTIFUL covers!! That one is gorgeous!! And I can’t wait for the next book in the Goddess Test series to come out .. .it’s quite a wonderful series! Insurgent is one that I plan to read SOON … I loved Divergent and I’ve heard this one is just as good, if not better!

Happy ABEA week! :)

• Christina says:

I still haven’t read the Goddess Test series. *needs more time* Laini’s covers are sooooooo gorgeous. I can’t wait to add this one to my bookshelf.

17. Great choices, I’ve not read any of them but I probably should

• Christina says:

*whispers* I haven’t read anything on our list either. Most were read by the others or were my “highly anticipated” reads.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

18. Jennifer says:

I’m looking forward to Throne of Glass as well. Sounds awesome!

Thanks for visiting!

19. Valerie says:

Oh I’ve read Goddess Interrupted & I cannot wait for book 3. The ending had me crazy.

Valerie
    StuckInBooks.com

• Celeste says:

oh my goodness! The ending was killer!!!! I’m going to read the novella in the mean time to tide me over. Thanks for stopping by :)

20. ooo I loved loved Goddess Interrupted :) Many people has mixed feeling but I enjoyed it a lot. I also just got my copy of Throne of Glass and cant wait to digg into it!! So many books to read!! Great picks!

21. Whoa, I’ve got some major reading to catch up on! All of these are on my list for this summer :)

22. Jenna says:

I reaaallly want to get my hands on Burn For Burn- I have heard nothin’ but love.

Thanks for visiting me & hope you’re enjoying ABea too!

• Christina says:

I really want a copy of Burn for Burn. I, too, have heard nothing but good feedback. Thanks for coming by our place and commenting as well.

23. Cayce says:

Great list! Throne of Glass sounds amazing. Can’t wait till it comes out!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

24. I’m intrigued by Burn For Burn!

25. elena says:

Ooh yes to Days of Blood & Starlight! I also really really want to read Burn for Burn and Throne of Glass too. They all promise at least solid writing. :D

26. neabarabea says:

Aww, Insurgent!! Can’t wait to read it!! :) <3 Hope my exams will pass soon so I can read it! And HAllowed <3 <3 LOVE this book <3 It's so so beautiful <3 Hope you're having fun today! Enjoy aBEA! ;)

• Christina says:

Hallowed. I learned to love Christian in this book. I can’t wait to read Insurgent, too! It’s sitting on my nightstand, I just have to find the time somewhere. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

27. Shel says:

Awry looks interesting. I also cannot wait to check out Throne of Glass. Thanks for stopping by our post!
    ~Shel (BiblioJunkies)

28. Some really great picks on there! I loved Insurgent, Hallowed, Pandemonium, Burn for Burn, and Throne of Glass.

29. I wish I had a timeturner to create more time for all of the books TBR and other bookish things. Great list for 2012.

30. Ariel Wilson says:

I’m so excited for Goddess Interrupted!

31. Your first 5 are series that I haven’t read and am DYING to start (I think I’m the only one in the world to not yet have read Divergent/Insurgent). And I’v got ARCs of Burn For Burn and Throne of Glass but haven’t gotten to them yet…sigh. So many books, so little time!

Great list, thank you for stopping by my post!

32. smiling_ina says:

I haven’t read any of these yet but they are all on my TBR pile. I really, really want Insurgent and I also want to start both the Goddess as well the Delirium series. :)

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog earlier!

33. marlastnc says:

Insurgent was so good! You definitely need to get your hands one that one. :-)

• Christina says:

Oh, I have it. It’s sitting on my nightstand right now, just whispering words and begging me to find time to devour it.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

34. Andrea says:

All these are such great choices! I loved Pandemonium for sure! I need to get to Insurgent still…. And I can’t wait for Throne of Glass that one looks amazing.

35. katiebirdie says:

I had to stop here, because I am completely in LOVE with the Premontion series by Amy A. Bartol. I found out about these books because of Celeste reccing it here. I so looking forward to the last book coming out this summer. :)

I’m also looking forward to Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness and Laini Taylor’s book. I have Insurgent, and need to start it soon. I guess I just haven’t been in dystopia mood lately.

36. KateB says:

It looks like this year was year of the second in a series :D

I have only read Insurgent and Goddess Interrupted from your list. But i really enjoyed both of them.

You’ve inspired me to put Daughter of Smoke and Bone on my to-read list. Thanks :)

37. Ooh, I forgot to include Laini Taylor’s new book on my 2012 must have list. DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE was beyond fabulous. I can’t wait to read book 2.

38. I haven’t heard of Awry, but now I’m intrigued! Thanks for stopping by.

39. dsuzuki says:

I loved Hallowed! A lot of the books you listed are on my wish list as well :) You can see my list here. It was so hard to keep from listing dozens of books.

40. michelle A says:

Awesome list of books. I have 3 of them on my shelf, but read 1 of them..lol!! I am getting there. I am hanging for Insurgent, hopefully that arrives this week:D

Have a great week!!

Michelle

41. sugarpeach says:

I saw Insurgent in my local bookstore but did not have the time to read it. The story sounds interesting. Burn for Burn is good, isn’t it? I like Jenny Han’s teen/YA books. They have some great story lines.

42. sarabara081 says:

Awesome list! I really want to read Throne of Glass and still need to start Daughter of Smoke and Bone! I feel like the last person around who has not read that one yet. The cover of the sequel is gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by my list!

43. stephscottil says:

You have a good variety of YA there. I’m like you, I like to try out different types of books; I tend to gravitate away from paranormal romance, but I just finished Tangled by Erica O’Rourke (the first book is Torn) and I really like the world she created; it’s sort of half contemprorary, have paranormal.

Looking forward to that Laini Taylor book, I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone. And the Siobhan Vivian one sounds good; I like introspective contemporaries the best.

44. Love your choices! Cant wait to read Awry and I need to read Throne of Glass! Thank you for stopping by my blog!

45. HeidiForReal says:

I want to recommend two books that I loved. Just give me a sec, have to spend some $ on books on Kindle right now.. … .. Yup, thats fourn new books, Daughter og smoke and bone, Selection and two more. LOL Yea, so the books I read. Can’t remember if you’ve had a post about them? The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra’s last hope by Elizabeth Isaacs! They are different, but Oh. So. Good. I really didn’t think they would be for me, but they were. Yes they were. The second book is called The Secret of the Keepers: Kailmeyra’s Strength. Next one will be out in 2013 and I can’t wait!

And then there’s angel books. Inescapable (The premonition #1). Loved it! And the sequel Intuition. Need to find out when the next one will be out.. The writer is Amy A. Bartol. Go check out! Also read Under the Never Sky, which I gave 3 stars. I didn’t like the bginning, but when there was some real action, it grew on me. I’m gonna read the next one!. And I read Eragon, all four books, and was massivly disappointed by the ending. The books was OK, but I hated how they ended. I now love dragons.

Earlier this year I read the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Not exactly YA.. *blushes* But I loved them!! recommend, if you are over 18. LOL

I’m sure many of these are much older than 2012, but book recommendations are always welcome, right?

So far this year I’ve read 32 books. Am on book 33 now, and it’s OK. It’s Crossed, book two in the Matched series by Ally Condie.

46. SweetMarie83 says:

I have all of these on my TBR/wish list! I’m especially excited for Days of Blood and Starlight – Daughter of Smoke and Bone was AMAZING. Hope you’re having a great week! :-)

47. Oh what a great list! And I love that many of them are book 2′s in a series. I loved Insurgent, it was amazing and I have got to read DoSB!

Hallowed was amazing and I’m too terrified to read Pandemonium as I heard the ending was even more of a killer than Delirium!

I love your “best of” list! Many are books I definitely consider favorites. I hope you’re having an awesome ABEA experience and have met some cool new bloggers. :)

Trackbacks